It’s debatable whether Korede Bello fully lived up to the expectations set by his moniker “African Prince.” Still, one thing remains undeniable; he has displayed class, rare creativity, and made a significant impact during his early years in the music industry.
Unlike many musicians who adopt stage names distinct from their birth names, Korede Bello stuck with his real name, “Korede Bello.” This choice reflects originality at its peak and the true identity of a young man proud of his origin and ancestry.
Born as Korede Bello on February 29, 1996, in Lagos State, Nigeria, he is a professional songwriter, singer, guitarist, and highly regarded composer.
Notably, February has been a lucky month for him. A few days before his 18th birthday, on February 24, 2014, he signed a life-changing deal with Mavin Records. This marked his rise to stardom and the subsequent release of the hit single “Godwin.”
Korede Bello’s Early Life and Education
Korede is a Christian of Yoruba descent in Southwest Nigeria. He is the second son in a family of three, and his younger sister, Jasmine Bello, is also a musician. His father, a music lover, recognized Korede’s burning desire for music at an early age and taught him to play the guitar when he was just seven.
Korede Bello received his early education in Lagos State, Nigeria, and then pursued Mass Communication at the Nigerian Institute of Journalism in Ikeja, Lagos State, where he successfully earned a diploma certificate.
Korede Bello’s Career
Music has always been a passion for the Bellos, and Korede is no exception. His love for music began at seven when his father taught him to play the guitar.
Over the years, he has cited music icons like 2Baba and Asa as his role models, and their influence is evident in his versatile music style, which seamlessly transitions between Pop, Afro-beat, Hip-hop, and more.
After releasing his first studio album, “Forever,” in 2013 while still in secondary school, Korede received a standing ovation from fans.
This early success motivated him to keep pushing. His introduction to Don Jazzy, thanks to his manager, Casmir Uwaegbute, on February 24, 2014, led to his signing with Mavin Records. There, he became one of the industry’s brightest talents and the label’s “star boy.”
With the release of his semi-Christian hit single “Godwin” a few months later, Korede Bello captured the hearts of music lovers worldwide. He followed it up with other hits like “Mongo Park,” “Adaobi,” and “African Princess.”
His hard work paid off when he secured an endorsement and an ambassadorial role with a top African telecommunications company, GLO, in 2015.
He also received an honorary ambassadorial role in the Nigeria Police Force, becoming the youngest ambassador in the force’s history. He was granted the title of Superintendent Of Police in 2015 by the then Inspector General of Police.
In the past year, the singer announced his departure from Mavin Records and released two new singles, “Available” and “Jejely,” under Caspertainment Agency in October 2022.
Korede Bello’s Discography
Besides his singles, mixtapes, and collaborations, Korede Bello has released three studio albums:
- “Beloved” (2017)
- “Table for Two” (2020)
- “Beauty and Bliss” (2023)
Have You Seen These?!!!
- Patoranking ‘World Best’ Album Review: The Best in the World of Dancehall?
- “I Love It Here” Review: The Lyrical Collection of Nasty C’s Favorite Physical and Mental Spaces in 2023
- Mohbad Blessed EP Review 2023: A Breakout from AfroGang to Street Hip-Hop
- Cassper Nyovest Solomon Album Review: A Royal Affirmation of South African Hip-Hop Kingship in 2023
- “Eziokwu” by Odumodublvck – Review: The Truth and Soundstyle of Okporoko Music in 2023
- Rod Wave Nostalgia Album Review 2023; A Soulful Journey of Triumph and Vulnerability.
Korede Bello’s Awards and Nominations
Korede Bello, a multi-talented musician, has received many accolades from various brands within and outside the music industry. These awards recognize his significant contributions to the growth and development of the music industry.
- Indigenous and Revelation of the Year at Tush All Youth Awards, 2011.
- Most Wanted Artist at Hype Awards, 2012.
- R&B Single (Male) at Yem Awards, 2012.
- Young Promoter of Cultural Heritage at The Gong Africa News Magazine, 2012.
- Most Promising Music Act to Watch at the Nigeria Teen Choice Awards, 2014.
- Best Song of the Year for “Godwin” at the 4th Annual Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards, 2015.
- Nominated for Song of the Year for “Godwin” and Next Rated at The Headies, 2015.
- Best Pop Single of the Year at the City People Entertainment Awards, 2016.
- Nominated for Best Collaboration of the Year for “Romantic” at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards, 2016.
- Best Contemporary Afro Video for “Godwin” at the 9th Nigeria Music Video Awards, 2016.
Korede Bello is one of the most versatile artists Nigeria has ever seen. His ability to shine for over a decade, like his contemporary Kizz Daniel, remains a question without a clear answer.